A few lines to complete the videos (available below) of our Road Trip in Yucatán, if you wish to make this trip, that I advise you once in your life.
The plane lands at night in Cancún, we chose to stay close to the airport to go to Tulum the next day. After getting the rental car we slept in a guest house run by a French passionate parrots and scuba diving (she will advise you if you want to do during your stay). Ideally located, close to the airport and in the middle of the jungle: Pura Vida Cancún.
The next day we stopped in Playa del Carmen in a nice vegan restaurant for breakfast: The Pitted Date.
In Tulum, we slept in cabins on the beach a little cold at night but it was nice to wake up in the white sand!
It is a city that I loved for its great beach, its activities, the many options of healthy food, the beauty of hotels like the Azulik or the Nomad where we went for a drink, the atmosphere that reigns there is great. In my opinion, Tulum is the Miami Mexican version. If you want to be out of the ordinary, get out of your comfort zone, linger on the following cities that are more like what we imagine from Mexico.
- Gran Cenote (on the raad to Cobá), he closest if you’re cycling
- Dos Ojos
Restaurants : (vegan or with option, gluten-free or options)
. Breakfasts and lunches:
- Raw love café, menu fot the cheesecakes and smoothie bowls
- Matcha Mama
- Co.Conamor for the burger thai
- Delek Tulum for the vegan banana bread
. Dîners :
- Burrito Amor, for cactus salad with veggie burrito with coconut flour
- Charly’s Vegan Tacos for the evening atmosphere.
- Los Pescadores for their tacos and grilled vegetable platters.
Dream hotels to sleep or have a drink:
To play Robinsons on the beach:
Heading to the Bacalar Lagoon for two nights, Bacalar is a seven-colored lagoon near Belize.
Activities: boat trip on the lagoon to enjoy the gradients of blue and swim discover the stromatolites, cenotes …
In the village, Fort San Felipe, historical vestige of Bacalar, built to fight against pirate attacks.
Test the Yucatán specialty les marquesitas: crisp pancakes like an ice cream cone, filled with Nutella, philadelphia cheese and banana, yes the 3 at the same time.. (Beurk…) 😉
Breakfasts and lunches :
- Enamora for avocado sandwiches and French toast…
- La Playita, for the quinoa & goat salad, the grilled vegetables platter.
- Casa Lamat an ecological hotel on the lagoon
- Blue Hôtel Roadside but cheap, quiet, hot water and lovely owners !
Only colonial city of our road trip, base for visits to Chichen Itza, suddenly many tourist buses around the village square but the city is empty at dusk, the church is beautiful and the streets adorable colorful houses.
Breakfasts and lunches
- Yerbabuena for juices, Benedict eggs, vegan options…
- Conato : Mexican specialties.
- Cacao Factory, the chocolate museum
- Chichen Itza 40 minutes by car: REALLY go to the opening otherwise hours of waiting.
Cape to the North to discover this fishing village.
- Villa los pescadores, for the view
- Boat trip at sunrise to approach flamingos and pelicans, but also crocodiles!
For the sunset and diner:
- Ria Maya for the plates of the sea
The island of Holbox, for the tranquility that reigns on this island without a car. You ride a bike or golf carts.
When we went it was rather the puddle island, because a lot of rain and the streets are not concrete but we enjoyed the Caribbean atmosphere that reigns there.
- Plage, paddle, massage on the beach, walk to Punta Mosquito, sunsets
- Walk the animals of the shelter or give a hand
- El Cafecito for chocolate breads, pitas breads and pancakes
- La Tortilleria for the tortillas (vegan possible !)
- Numa for healthy bowls
- Lluma : best tapas ever, often complete but it’s worth the wait!
- Roots for the atmosphere with the band, pizzas and mezcal !
- Basico for the decoration, the goat strawberry salad and the cauliflower donuts
Leaving Holbox (1 ferry, 2h30 drive and 1 new ferry with the car on board this time, we arrived in Cozumel for the Eve of the 31. And there big disappointment!
The so-called emerald water, incredible snorkeling places … Not at all !!! It is a very touristy island where even the access to the beaches of snorkeling is paying and frankly it is not an exotic aquarium!
Other than that, there are some great restaurants (we feasted) and a wonderful yoga studio with amazing views.
- Mango café isla
- Viva Latina
- Green démon for the Sunset on the beach
- Healthy veggie
- Soul sisters
- Tree House Yoga
- We were in a spacious Air B & B Casa Onali